The A+ Schools Program was established by the Outstanding Schools Act of 1993 to reward students for maintaining record of good school achievement and also to provide them with an opportunity for post secondary education.Students who meet the criteria may be eligible to receive reimbursement toward the cost of tuition, and general fees. These financial incentives are subject to legislative appropriation. To retain this eligibility during the four-year period of incentive availability, students must maintain a 2.50 grade point average while enrolled and attending a Missouri public community college, vocational or technical school on a full-time basis.Since the first A+ eligible class in 1998, PHS has been able to certify 1,316 eligible students.
Students must have:
- Attended a designated A+ school for three consecutive years prior to high school graduation;
- Graduated from high school with a grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a four point scale;
- At least 95% attendance for the four-year period;
- Performed fifty hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring with other Meramec Valley students;
- Maintained a record of good citizenship and avoidance of the unlawful use of drugs/alcohol;
- Score Proficient or Advanced on DESE approved mathematics exam;
- Registered for Selective Service if applicable;
- Make a good faith effort to secure federal post-secondary student financial assistance funds by filling out a Federal Application for Free Student Aid (FAFSA) by April 30 of their senior year.