ABOUT ACADEMIC FOCUS:
This is a year-long course with approximately 20 students per class providing students with a family-like atmosphere. Academic Focus classes will meet on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for 32 minutes. The Riverbend core values Respect, Responsibility, Resilience, and Character will help guide the activities and lessons throughout the year. Main objectives are:
- Develop study skills and organization by providing time for Academic Reteach.
- Goal setting (academic, attendance, and citizenship goals)
- Service Learning - participating in various service activities to help students connect with the community.
- Class meetings to discuss celebrations and concerns. Speak-Up Forms for the meetings can be found in the library or in the cafeteria.
- Build personal connections through team building.
Academic Focus is a preparation class modeled after Academic Lab at Pacific High School, which is a mandatory class students take all 4 years. One of the goals for Academic Focus at Riverbend is to prepare students with better organization, study, and class time management skills which they can utilize throughout their high school career.